Media Room

Online Duan Wu Carnival 2021 receives warm reception | Media Room

Online Duan Wu Carnival 2021 receives warm reception

Online Duan Wu Carnival 2021

13 June 2021 – Even COVID-19 cannot dampen the spirits of the festivities! Organised by the Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations (SFCCA), Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre (SCCC) and Toa Payoh Central Community Club, this year’s Online Duan Wu Carnival received warm public reception.

This year’s art contest, with the theme of “A Joyous Duan Wu Festival Celebration”, encouraged youths and children to create drawings which conveyed positivity and optimism whilst promoting traditional Chinese culture. The contest drew overwhelming response, with the Children Category and Youth Category receiving 217 and 44 submissions respectively.

The contest was open for online voting, where the public voted for their favourite artworks. At the end of the voting period, the Children Category had acquired 647,376 page views with 220,860 online votes cast while the Youth Category had acquired 157,198 page views with 52,947 online votes cast. Online votes accounted for 40% of the final score, while the other 60% was determined by judges from the organisers and Singapore Life Art Society.

1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes as well as an Online Popularity Award were awarded for each category. Dr Zhou Zhao Cheng, SFCCA’s Social Affairs Committee Chairman, has represented the organizer to announce the art contest winners.

 

A new addition to this year’s Online Duan Wu Carnival was the “Picturesque Duan Wu – An Online Virtual Tour of Qu Yuan’s Hometown”. Hosted by media veteran Wong Lee Jeng and Dr Yun Jia from SFCCA’s Social Affairs Committee Member & Integration Advocate, this virtual tour attracted 108 participants on Zoom platform and more than 400 in SFCCA Facebook page, and these participants were from a variety of backgrounds and ethnicities, from people of different backgrounds and ethnicities.

Conducted in both English and Mandarin, interesting videos were used to introduce Qu Yuan’s hometown to participants so that they could experience the local sights and sounds. The hosts introduced the history of Duan Wu Festival, its cultural observation in Singapore, and Duan Wu practices in other countries. Participants enjoyed interacting with the lively hosts who made the experience fun and educational.

This year’s Duan Wu Carnival also included a new innovative online mini game – “Dragon Boat Hurrah”. With a dynamic interface and fun-filled game format, “Dragon Boat Hurrah” attracted close to 250 players who competed for $1500 worth of vouchers. This mini game consisted of two rounds – Preliminary Stage and Final Stage. 15 players who reached the final stage won $60 worth of vouchers each.

 

 

With the Duan Wu Carnival held online for the 2nd year running, SFCCA hopes to integrate traditional celebrations, cultural practices and other elements with technology, and to promote the development and preservation of Chinese culture with greater and far-reaching impact.

 

Issued by:

Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations

 

 

Media Contact:

Abby Zhang

Event Executive

Contact: 6643 6483 / 92378376

Emai:      [email protected]

 

 

 

 

About Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations
Established in 1985, Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations (SFCCA) is the apex body of the Chinese clan associations in Singapore, with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong named as our first Patron in 2011. The Federation’s primary objectives are to promote understanding and appreciation of Chinese language, culture and values; to lead the Chinese clan associations in Singapore, as well as, organise and support educational, cultural and community activities. The Federation now boasts a membership of over 230.

For more information, please visit http://www.sfcca.sg/en.

 

About Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre
The Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre collaborates with arts and cultural groups and community partners to promote and develop local Chinese culture. Through engaging and accessible content, we hope to nurture greater appreciation of our multi-cultural identity and a stronger sense of belonging.

Opened by our Patron, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on 19 May 2017, our centre in the heart of the city welcomes everyone to enjoy exhibitions, fairs, performances, seminars, talks, workshops and other cultural activities throughout the year.

For more information, please visit https://www.singaporeccc.org.sg/.

 

SCCC

Singapore Chinese Cultural Contribution Awards

Learn about our annual awards

Arts Support Framework

Collaborate with us today

SCCC
SCCC

Donations & Volunteers

Find out how to support Chinese culture in Singapore